Monday, October 15, 2007

Let the Race begin ...


I used to sail, run and play table tennis competitively during my schooling days. I enjoy every bit of it, including the strenuous training that leaves me like a dead dog and aching for days no end. I love the games, the races and especially the adrenalin of it, especially Sailing. Before I experienced the greatness of standing in the presence of God, praising Him jumping up and down (I can't beat my dear Hub for that), i thought sailing through the winds must be the best feeling in the world. But, i wouldn't deny that i loved sports and loved the fact that i was fit and had close to boundless energy. I came across some inspiring stories of many sportsmen and women, many of which had limitations or similar backgrounds as I do. Having laid down sports and exercising for a long time, they picked it up again and went beyond their imagination. One said that our human capabilities are beyond our imagination, we are merely restricted by our minds. Although i cannot deny the gradual deteoriation of our physical bodies, i believe too that my body as the temple of God could function a whole lot better being fitter. And my mind could function a whole lot more by stretching it to greater limits. I think Paul makes a lot of point about our spiritual journey as a race, and i once heard too that its a marathon race that keeps running, stretching and persevering. I recalled just a short 2km run last Saturday and the huff and puff i had. i thought i was going to choke to death. My mind was filled with discouragements and i thought i could never get back again. It must be an encouragement from God today to have read those stories. I must have registered once again of God's interest in building perseverance in me that will develop character. I think I will put on my running shoes again, at 27, it's never too late.

No comments: