Friday, October 14, 2011

Preserving a sense of humor

I am trying out blogging with a new app I downloaded for the iPad (I still can't believe my group of JC girlfriends got it for me for my bday this year, thank you and I love you girls!). I hope it works and hope that this can help me jot down ad hoc posts more conveniently.
"Joy" has been a prevailing message through this season from day 1. It's been a great source of strength just like what Nehemiah promised to be. After a grueling night of intensed back pain that developed after an episode of coughs (pain factor to me was 10/10 this time), surely warranted some down time. The husband was at lost and thank God I eventually fell asleep after some desperate prayers. We had a discussion with the oncologist and decided on some pain management strategies to tide through this, hopefully muscular problem. The oncologist asked about my supply of painkillers as we were walking out of the clinic, the husband replied, "running low I think, unless you (referring to me) got some hidden stash of drugs do not know of." I replied, "I think I've still got some hidden in the shoes and under the sheets". The oncologist laughed and gave us a shove and said "two of you...!"
A new pain relief drug was tried and chemotherapy for the day given, I was laughing in a conversation with one of the nurses. She smiled and said, am so glad you're laughing.
I thought back through the events of the day, these popped into my mind. There's always something to thank God for, and in this case, I thank God for the sense of humor around me, my dear husband still cracks me up, and I believe is such a special gift. Learn to laugh even in the most difficult situation, will ya?

1 comment:

Room to Think said...

this made me smile.

i pray God will inject more and more joy into you and every single person in your family...joy that surpasses human reason and peace that transcends understanding.

in what we'd otherwise consider our darkest time, God can bring an uncontrollable outburst of laughter as He shows us where He is in our lowest moment.

i experienced this when Ps Lance and Belle did a sozo session with me. i literally couldn't contain myself...i thought at first the vision i got as God's response was me making a picture up to console myself but then i felt this tickling in my belly which then exploded out as a great big whoop of a laugh.

i pray He will touch you like that but that it will be a joy that will last and be infectious.