Sunday, May 1, 2011

Tri-Color Rule



One of the fun things of motherhood is to try out new and interesting recipes. I love scouring blogs and Annabel Karmel's recipes for ideas. Most times, I derive my own, so I'll let my imagination run a little, imagine combination of taste and what could be whipped out from it.
I have a couple of simple rules I abide by.
1. Quick meals
2. Easy to obtain ingredients (mostly revolved around what I already have in the fridge)
3. Tri-color rule

Tri-color rule is important. Firstly, it has aesthetic value. Who can resist a colorful meal? Secondly, it offers higher nutritional value. A PD's advice to me was, you need to have minimum 3 colored vegetables. Sounds troublesome, but actually it's simple. Green, Orange, Yellow are my rule. So its always a combination between the greens, a root vegetable/Fruit like sweet potatoes, pumpkin, or corn. Then there's also cauliflower, onions, Zuchinni, squash etc. to play around with.

So after a tri-color rule, the meal will require 1 source of carbo, usually brown rice or pasta/noodles, and then your protein. Chicken/Fish are my main ones, sometimes I'll have beef and pork, but I haven't tried lamb personally because I hardly ever cook that, so I don't really know how to handle lamb.

So if you've any suggestions of good toddler meal ideas, please feel free to drop them in my comments!

No comments: