Friday, June 26, 2009

Upgraded to a sippy cup



A week ago, I got called into the Childcare director's office. I thought I was bad when my parents were called to my principal's office when I was in Secondary school for bad results, what is this?Janice not even 1! Anyway, I was told that Janice takes way too long to finish her milk from the bottle. You see, she probably got my genes, I used to drive my mom nuts by taking forever for my meals (like 2-3 hrs for dinner). Janice used to be really good with bottles when she was a new born. But the washing, expressing and sterilizing of bottles was way too troublesome, especially when I was a 1st time mom, trying to juggle a new baby, housework and all the other jing jangs. So after stopping for a month, this little one decided that she wants the real stuff, and will not be compromised by drinking from rubber teats. So, when she had to go childcare, she had no other alternatives, but still with the refusal to suck, she would just chew and play with the teats and let the milk flow into her mouth bit by bit. This milk drinking process takes her more than an hour! So back at the director's office, she said I needed to do something about it. So what can I do? Try new alternatives and so I decided to pluck out all the non spill valves from sippy cups (sippy cups nowadays have built in non spill valves that are supposed to reduce mess, but they are so hard to drink from! Even I had problem sucking) and started giving Janice milk and water from them. I think it's working ok, she now takes 10mins, with some protest if she's taking milk. Milk to her is NOT supposed to cup out from cups/bottles etc. But prayerfully, she'll take in more and give the carers a better time. But first, sigh, supply needs to increase.

No comments: