Monday, October 31, 2011

Learning to listen to His Voice

Today was scheduled to be my 5th cycle of chemotherapy. We also reviewed the results of my PET scan and blood test results. In summary, there is little movement since previous scans. Though an improvement since the beginning but nothing major has happened. Bones side look very promising, but the main concern is still the main tumor in the right lung. Because of that tumor, my right broncho and artery are narrowed and that has been the main cause of my coughing symptoms and the infections, infarctions here and there. 

Though these probably still don't sound terribly exciting still, I want to still testify in the workings of God. In fact, both Kel and I are excited in this juncture and we would like to ask for you to come alongside us in thanksgiving and prayer for what has happened and is to come. 

The oncologist described my case as her "most challenging case" suggested an change of treatment, something that was out of the normal prescription of a stage IV lung cancer and that is to radiate the main tumor instead of carrying on with chemotherapy. The good thing about this is that I give chemotherapy a short break since it wasn't doing me massive benefits radiation should remove that tumor, which means I should not be coughing after that and should be able to breathe much better. The rationale is that the rest of the apparent "cancer hit" areas are small and stable and wasn't giving me any problems (i.e. I almost don't even realize their existence). The collateral damage shouldn't be much (hopefully) and though I may experience some side effects but they are all temporal ones. After radiation, we can then monitor and assess the situation again.

Why I said it was a testimony is that, a couple of weeks ago, I prayed and I felt that the tumor would somehow be removed (medically). I mentioned to Kel after that and asked, what if that tumor was removed and we start afresh? We left that thought on the shelf since I had no idea what that meant then. But when the oncologist suggested the "out of the ordinary" treatment, I knew it sat right. Over the past few days prior to today, Kel felt that I won't have to continue with chemotherapy today. And he was right. the encouragement that came from hearing His voice far outweighs encouragements that comes through reports alone (though I won't complain when that too happens, I told the Lord)

God is working in our lives and we are excited. The oncologist suggested we should pray and think through before giving her an answer tomorrow. Conventional doctors might fear that the break from chemotherapy might cause all other areas to re-emerge and worsen the condition. But I am also glad to say that My God is bigger than all the drugs could possibly do. Didn't the Holy Spirit remind me this morning that I can boast not of my strengths and I add, not boast of medical science, or anything human hands can make. But I can boast in His spirit for His strength is made perfect in our weaknesses. His Grace is sufficient. 

Please pray with us, one of the biggest lesson we are learning is to hear the voice of God correctly. Thank you so much for all of you who have been praying and dropping us notes and verses of what God has spoken. I pray that as you join us in prayer, you too will enjoy the walk in the Spirit. 

2 comments:

J2 said...

Dearest CY,
I am very blessed by your testimony. I am glad the Lord is showing you an alternate route of treatment and i pray it will show much progress.
My mom was diagnose 2 weeks ago with Liver and Tyroid but we decided not to do chemo (one is age, the other is she does not want her quality of life to be affected) so we decided to do Bio Resonance which focuses on natural healing.She is responding well to the treatment at the moment though we are open to Chemo 3 weeks from now if the natural route is not showing any progress. I pray that through this journey, your strength and trust in the Lord will radiate so evidently to others. I know you have exhibited strength beyond words as a family and it has greatly encouraged me during this difficult times in my own family. Stay strong!

Kiss a Cup of Latte said...

Hi Jia Yen,

Thank you for sharing this. We will be praying for you as you take the next step. We trust God who is faithful and will be faithful to you.

God bless,

Andrea & Shawn