Friday, July 29, 2011

The night lingers...

The chemo drugs made me really dazed out for the entire day. I spent the day coming in and out of deep sleep. I couldn't spend as much time with Janice as I would have wanted to. She went to school in the morning and went off to spend some time with Gugu and the grandparents. She came home and I was at the healing service. Oh I so miss her and couldn't wait to get and give some cuddles. I was worried that she would be clingy and whiney when she sees me after a long day, but I came home to be greeted by this little girl who was grinning from ear to ear, ready to throw her arms round me.

"Mummy, you went to the healing service?"
"Mummy, can I pray for you?"
She went on to narrate details of her evening, telling me where she went, what she ate, what she did.
She wanted to follow us out of her room though it was way past her bedtime. I was more than happy for her to do so.
"Mummy, you can't carry me because you're still sick? Daddy, you're not sick, so you can carry me"
Off she went, piggy backing on daddy, while I followed behind.
Both sets of grandparents were there, Gugu was there, and she was in her own zone. Carrying out her conversations, some random, some incredibly thoughtful.
I allowed the night to linger on though it was way past the bedtime, and I could barely stand without feeling faintish.

There were lots of random requests that followed before the eventual "bedtime".
"I need to comb my hair, muumy. Its messy, I can't sleep if its messy"
" I need 5 songs, alphabets songs, froggy songs, ... "
She prayed again for me, and my cough, insistent I bow my head to the prayer, and repeated the prayer once she heard me cough just a little.
We bid each other goodnight, shouting sweet dreams and I love yous as we exit the room.

It was a nice night that lingered on just a little. It doesn't matter that teachers "complained" (very nicely) that Janice reaches school way too late" (She needs her 12 hr sleep, thus she wakes up at 10 and reaches school at 11, much to the "protest" of the teachers *grin)
When the lights are dimmed and the husband and I snuggled into bed eventually, we were still happily recounting every happy little thing that Janice said, and her funny and cute demeanor.
I sat in the dark, smiling a happy smile, thanking God for this lingering night. I can't believe how blessed I am.

No comments: