Tuesday, November 30, 2010

More than Enough

We had the joy of witnessing the marriage of one of my colleagues over the weekend. Throughout the service, I tear as I was reminded of God’s faithfulness, at the knowledge of His pleasure towards Godly marriages. I cried at the sweetness of the couple and enjoyed that moment of joy and love that lingered through the ceremony.

I couldn’t help but started to reflect upon my own marriage as I drove to work this morning.

I relived the moments we shared as husband and wife. I replayed the times of heartaches and conflicts; and also the moments of forgiveness. Great memories of our journey so far, our significant milestones all came to my mind.

The emotions evoked were pleasurable, but emotions will not stand through the test because we all know that marriage is never always on a bed of roses. After the honey sweet proposal and wedding songs will come the revelation of each others’ weaknesses. But God spoke in clarity that what He provides is more than enough.

I know that I have a tendency to fall into dissatisfaction and being critical at my own situations/my husband/myself. But I realized I could live with more conviction upon the provision of God in every area of my life. Convictions that can translate to a lasting joy that helps me look beyond the imperfections (marriage in this instance). I can rely on His love to provide the due encouragement and support I can give to the husband in good times and bad (I get frustrated at myself a lot when I wallow into this “critic” mode). I can look through His lenses and subject myself to God’s standards when I measure my husband in accordance to my selfish expectations. I can trust in God’s transformational power to change us to be more compatible each day as we grow in Christ likeness.

I paused at my carefully sliced piece of Sara lee cake packed in a little bag, knowing that though it was not a plate of right textured poached egg drizzled with hollandaise sauce, it was a piece of his love for me, that he bothered and remembered that breakfast mattered to me (though he is not always a very breakfast person). And this, is more than enough for me.

No comments: