Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Milestone thoughts

I remembered on the 12th September 1999, my life took a turn. I accepted Jesus into my heart and life was never the same again. It was like I found a compass, is that what it is called? It’s the one that has a needle on one arm and the other arm attached to a pencil and you can draw perfect circles with that? Well it kind of felt that way. I found a centre point and as much as I could, I drew my life around it.

Fast forward 7.5 years later, on the 12th of May 2007, I made a vow to a man, till death do us part. About 1.5 years after that, God gave us one of the most amazing gift ever, packaged with no instructions manual or whatsoever. A product of God’s blessings and our love, we held our first born in our hands. It was such a surreal experience. Pregnancy, 48 hrs of labor, emergency C-section, I actually can’t quite recall anymore. And our dear daughter turned TWO one week ago, the Terrific/Terrible Twos! I listed a couple of milestones in my life just to show the major turning points, with each turn for the better, but not exactly “easier”. I mark milestones, because it reminds me how thankful I am, that I found Jesus first and with Him as my focal, I can thread on unknown grounds with hope and confidence.

Janice turning 2 marked another milestone of my journey as a parent. Though I still feel like such a novice, these 2 years have made me a slightly wiser and “sturdy”. But there’s always this “can I make it” question nagging at the back of my mind. I said to the husband yesterday, parenting will only get harder. Our day to day decisions, speech and actions are going to be more impactful on her from now on, at least until she’s about 21. For the minutes following, I could feel literally the weight and the burden that was hard to shake off, but as I prayed a word came loud and clear. To “INSTRUCT with HIS WORD”. I may fall short with my weaknesses and flaws. I can never be a perfect parent and we 100% right. But I have a manual that may not be specific to any particular product, but yet it is useful for teaching, rebuking and training in righteousness, and that we can thoroughly be equipped by it. Continue to instruct with His word because it will never go wrong.

Parenting 201, here I come.

No comments: