Monday, September 20, 2010

Being domestic

9 months back in Singapore, I miss being domestic most!

I was used to a life where I did most meals home cooked. Past few months have been nomadic, though I have enjoyed home cooked meals at mom’s place, but to me, meal time is one of my important avenues to build a family culture. Without having meals at home, I feel some what displaced and cannot orientate my life properly. I feel the lack of space and opportunity for that magical connection that can take place, with my hubby, my kid (hopefully will turn plural in time to come).

I actually look forward to rush home from work so that I can whip a meal so that our little family can unwind over the dinner table. Nothing spectacular, just a nice simple warm meal. Thereafter, I think we can be re-energised, be it spending some quality family time or catch up some work or head off for ministering/meetings.

This, I hope will be in near future. I can’t wait to move into our new place. To gratify myself a little, I decided to pen down what I usually need in my little pantry.

What should be in my pantry:

Oil

- normal cooking oil (canola)

- olive oil

- grape seed oil

- sesame oil

Chinese sauces

- light soya

- dark soya

- vinegar

- Chinese cooking wine

- Steam fish soya sauce

Others:

- balsamic vinegar

- tomato paste

- white/red wine when needed

- seasoning herbs – Rosemary, thyme, basil and parsley

- stand-by udon/egg noodles; dried pasta

- onions

- garlic

In the fridge:

- olive butter

- Goma salad dressing

- Fresh herbs will be nice

- Sambal chili

- Eggs

- Pre chopped up garlic (do up in batches)

Freezer:

All pre packed into portions

- bones for soup

- lean pork

- chicken thighs with and without bones

- mince beef

- fish (portioned) – either cross section cut up, big fish tail

Vegetables and fruits on the go

1 comment:

Ai Ling said...

Is it 9 mths already? :) I've had a baby in the mean time, hee hee.. But i can totally understand. And btw, that's a great list! :)