Friday, February 12, 2010

What I took back from today's Staff Devotion

Today at staff devotion, we had a guest speaker come and share with us as our Division leaders went away for a retreat. Just wanted to note it down so that I won't forget. He was sharing about his difficulties in ministry with the youths and how it is so challenging, not so much the youths but many times, their parents can really be a pain as well.
Amongst his sharing, he mentioned how a parent got upset with him cause he had to tell their child to step down from ministry cause his relationship with God wasn't going well and it was starting to reflect outwardly in his ministry. And he went to still apologize to the parent. He told us "I apologized not because I did something wrong to her son, but I apologized because I hurt them."
When I heard that, it really touched my heart to know that we don't apologize because of the action that we did, but instead for the reaction that was caused by the initial action (which might not be wrong in the first place). This was something that I want to hold onto in every area of my life; my relationship with God, my family, my friends and my ministry.

4 comments:

Judith said...

When I read this, my first thought was 'Like that I will spend a lot of time apologising lor!'. Thanks for giving me something to think about.

c.y said...

hehehe Judith, you're funny.

Room to Think said...

i like that, that's a cool revelation. hard to swallow in some cases but can definitely be worked on! :)thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter.