Monday, March 30, 2009

5 Months Old!


Dear Janice,
You're 5 months old today and there hasn't been a single day that I haven't discovered something new about you. You've been growing so much this month that I am excited to be spending my days with you, just to discover more.
You started childcare this month while I started work part time and you've been adapting pretty ok. You enjoy yourself most when the teachers place you in your little gym mat/float at the playground watching the older kids play around you. You still give them a piece of your mind each time you're given milk from a bottle though.
You've also migrated from your little bassinet to your cot (which we had it snugged into our little bedroom so that you could still be near us). You weren't sleeping too well earlier this month and have been complaining and fussing in your bassinet as if telling us that you were running out of space. I took a gamble and shifted the cot in one day and you took to it immediately that night, your arms sprawled out enjoying the space around you. You have been sleeping much better from that day on. I was so afraid that you wouldn't take to the cot because of the many stories I have heard that babies who did not start off with cot will not want to be in one, but I guess I was wrong. Now that you have the space, I wake up in the middle of the night to find that you've wriggled all the way from the bottom end of the cot to the top. You're pretty strong and have been moving on your back so much that I suspect that you might just derive a "on the back move" as a stop gap before you actually learn to crawl so that you can still get to places you want to go. It's scary for me because I have to watch you more and cannot leave you alone unless I strap you down :)
You're still learning to roll and gets very frustrated when you could only make it halfway. Don't worry, you'll get it very soon, with more persistency. Your motor skills have also grown this month and no longer do you just bat on the toys in front of you, you've been reaching and grabbing them, of course everything ends up in your mouth, from toys to blankets to socks. You've been wanting to sit up and it's been a challenge to place you in the car capsule because you'll be wanting to sit up and refusing to lean back for the seat belt.
As I pen down all these, I realised how eventful this month must have been for you. You also started some solids and you absolutely love it. You're pooing less frequently though, so I am praying that this phase will pass by quickly and your little stomach will adapt better. We've been spending more Saturdays outdoor for you as the weather have turned cooler. You just love the wideness and space in the parks, on the grass. We started Sunday School for the afternoon service yesterday and you participated in almost everything, chipping in with your goos and gars, rolling around on the picnic mat when we were outdoors too. Alicia and Elise have been so loving to you, giving you cuddles and kisses and asking for you frequently. You love being with them too, though you can't quite play yet and without supervision, they can try out real weird things on you like pressing toys against your nose etc. The kiss you leaned over for Alicia was just priceless.
You're a pretty independent one and I look at you with pride and joy when you talk to yourself (or the toys) and falls asleep on your own. You could sit in front of the TV and enjoy your "school time" with on your own for up to 45mins sometimes. You laugh and flap your arms whenever I turn it on and how you've grown to be so familiar with it that you would sit quietly for me to strap you onto the rocking chair and I fiddle with the DVD player.
My little one, we're so glad that you love people and adapts well even when we take you around for night prayers and life group and sometimes the entire day at Church. Thank you for adoring our company and showering us with your chuckles and smiles. You laugh easily even when popo merely calls out your name.
I love you my dear, your little fingers that touches and grab me all the time. I look forward to our family time on Saturdays and just the moments of conversing with you.
I pray each day you'll know His presence more and I could see God's amazing hands on you each and everyday. He soothes you when we can't and He provides His comfort and peace for you through the night.

I never knew I could love, but now I know and I thank you and your daddy for teaching me how.
Love, Mummy.

2 comments:

Betty said...

Janice is so adorable and has a bright looking face. She must be very playful. Can't wait to hug her and play with her......Kel & Yen, please kiss her for me.

Lucia said...

That was such a sweet, touching update.. Indeed God shows us the capacity of our love through the people who love us most.. :)